Wednesday, June 26, 2013




Funky bird for Cobi by Shelly
The first page I made was a funky bird for Cobi. Living in South Florida, I thought a flamingo would be a good choice and, of course, she needed sun glasses.  I hand stamped some white fabrics with ink and tore them into smaller pieces and sewed them down to make the background.  I added colorful recatangles of fabric on 3 sides of the border and faux prairie points to the right side. I fused the blue water down first. and sewed over it with blue thread. I fused the bird and machine stitched with black thread.  I painted in her wing.  I cut the sunglasses from some fabric and stitched them down.  The black on the wing and tail is plastic webbing that held produce previously.  The flower was in my stash.  Her head just looked too bare. I also painted in the knees yellow to add a spark of color.  It still needed something so I added the pink swirls by couching yarn.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

I love this funky bird Shelly & you've given a great explanation of your techniques....thanks